Wednesday, October 9, 2013

A NATION?

"If the descendants of Africans in the the U.S., (or Britain, or Brazil,) for example, could create a separate nation and advance its economic development through instituting 100 years of slavery, would you support doing it or would you rather just maintain our status quo wherever you live?" - Africa Eco




That is a lot to consider. When I think of the sovereign nations within the US borders and how complex those relationships with the US government are I see a mindset within Native people that does not exist amongst Black Americans. It is too hard a stretch for most, I believe, to think of building a nation. Beyond the power of the idea in the 1960's and '70's it was work to build the spiritual base of the notion of a Black nation, and Black Americans, for the most part could not support the idea, or the power of it within their bodies. It was fun to play with, but it was too far removed from the intent of the Civil Rights movement to be able as a Negro to sit, eat work, and play with White people.

Do I support the notion? Have I ever? At one time I did until I realized how much work it took to 'kill the white man within me'. I did that work. It took years, and still to this day has to be attended to, but what that actually meant and stirred within anyone Black to walk this path with me revealed something fundamental. I learned over the years that that act of power is odious to the thinking and lifestyles of Black Americans! If the fundamental spiritual work and the intellectual endeavors to become a nation are too much of an undertaking in a person's body then the notion of a Black America is absurd, and unrealistic!

Do I support the notion? Only as far as recreating the thinking and the spirit of a people not far removed from a slave mentality. There are groups within the US borders who have a block of power that makes it feel like they are a nation. That is as far as they can go, are willing to go, and are allowed to go within the borders of the country. As I recall we tried that a few times in the 20th century.

I support the sovereignty of the 500+ nations within the US borders, but I always remember and think about what Supreme Court Justice Scalia said about the question of Indian Sovereignty: "United States policy is revolved around conquest... So, Indian nations are conquered nations. And the treaties have been upheld." The US government respects power. The Seminoles and the African Seminoles are the only nation to negotiate their way back into the country in their long war with the US government. That is the closest, and I am reaching, 'we' came to acting like a nation. The difference here is in the history and the fighting spirit. Black America can never become a nation within the US borders. It is impossible to start until we are freed from the tradition of holding onto and embracing our tragedies!

But, the simple answer to this question is yes. - Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories 10.8.13



No comments:

Post a Comment