Monday, September 9, 2013

CIVIL RIGHTS: a child's view

March on Washington. My father was there. - Gregory E. Woods

Verna Lambert 

Soledad O'Brien,

"I am a '60's baby and native Washingtonian. I remember the Poor Peoples March and protest, where tents sat in puddles of mud and rain. I also remember the March on Washington and the day MLK was shot. While I was only 8 and naive  I remember very vividly my mother rushing into to Shiloh Bapitist Church to pick me up from nursery school and the National Guards rolling tankers down the street to patrol order on U Street in the Shaw District, while fire and smoke was everywhere. There was always protest and marches on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, and the reflection pool. I have so many fond memories of Civil Rights era in the Nations Capital.. Thank for your many gifts of journalism...." - 2.10.11


Just saw the preview which illustrated some aspects of Dr. Ernest Withers - though it emphasized his photography more - and less his incredible photographic memory, his astute understanding (political, economic, social justice, etc.) and memory of every situation he encountered and photographed. Hope too that the full special will discuss all of Dr. Wither's children - not just a few. His commitment to all of his children was significant.

photographer, Ernest Withers



No comments:

Post a Comment