Saturday, August 13, 2011

INITIATE to ward off DEATH


Jasun & Scotty Smith in NYC in the '80's

JASUN & SCOTTY

“This picture grips me with painful emotions. I saw these two boys as a father, and the view was not disengaged from the reality of poor life choices made that led to Scotty's death. His life has become a sacred story, in a sense, and a cautionary tale disseminated by other facilitators working with young Black people who value and fancy the ghetto, and the drug culture as an ideal, and identify themselves with a value system that breeds death, and powerlessness…

Jasun, on the left, and his brother, Scott lived with me in earlier times. I was a young father in my first marriage. The brothers were two of the four brothers my wife had. The boys lived in New York City and needed to get out of that awful city before it consumed and killed them their mother believed. In the end Jasun lived into adulthood, and fatherhood, but Scotty was killed by what he loved the most: the thug life." – Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories



No comments:

Post a Comment