Monday, October 9, 2017

a slice of life.





"Traded Sandals"

By Jim Keltner


"You should never compare yourself in the first place. Your competition should be you and you should be inspired by other musicians, not intimidated. ...

I would see Clare (Fischer) play at Shelly's Manne Hole with Gene Stone on drums. Gene had a beautiful touch......

During the late sixties I was playing with Bobby Hutcherson and John Handy at The Both/And Club. After the last set guys would come up and sit in.

Hampton Hawes sat in with us. It is astonishing to see that man in person, let alone play.

Jack DeJohnette would come and hang out. I got to be really good friends with Jack. I had already met Jack before, we traded sandals in the parking lot at Huntington Beach at The Golden Bear."

*excerpt of my 2nd radio interview with JK from 2016


Drummer Jack DeJohnette.


No comments:

Post a Comment