Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Storm in the Key of Life


I was at Wolf Run this weekend past with Pam, Naazima Ali, and Gail Dickert. Gail, is the director of Frog Pond. Her spiritual insights and intuition are sharp, clear and refreshing. I could go on and on about that young woman but I won't. Naazima Ali is a Black Cherokee woman Pam and I have know a few years. Together the three of us have done strong spiritual work together. Bear came to us in those very mountains and taught us one night a good story. The four of us were in the mountains for one reason: to build a new sweat lodge. The storm that wracked the Washington DC area was a magical light and drum show. It was a display of power I've never seen before. I've seen wind blow, and water fall, but I've never seen a Thunderbird fly through the trees stirring the wind making a sound from its vocabulary. The air was full. It was strong and warm. It embraced me as I felt around gathering my story stones and crystals I'd earlier formed into Medicine Wheels here and there where the ceremonies occur. Very little light from the tea light lantern split through the growing darkness but I managed to 'save' the stones.

Pam and I had made four bedrolls around the fire circle and wrapped them in large tarps. "Do we leave them? What do we do?" We decided to retrieve them as the rain pelted us with humor. I buried mine under the tarp covering the woodpile that stands behind where I like to sleep around the fire. The women dragged one into the small Prayer House nestled in the trees leaving me with one large bundle in hand and stones in another. Somebody laughed out loud. We all did. It was a joy being outside in the turbulences of rain, wind, thunder, and force.

Earlier gathering the stones I didn't realize how close Bear was to me until the force of the Thunderbird stirred urgency within Bear to seek cover, and whatever play he had in mind with me went away as he broke small trees running away and up to the place he lives not too far up the mountain from our lodge site. On the opposite side of the lodge space Deer broke for cover. Now with the four of us giddy with the joy and excitement of Wind's Power we got drenched walking the path through the woods to the Hunter's Lodge. Inside we laughed, and talked about things, ate a good meal and eventually settled down and slept with the sounds of rain playing and drumming.

Much later in the night I awoke startled by the thoughts of love for Songs. As silent as I could on sleepy feet I walked outside in the dark barefoot down a stony path and stood still listening to the murmur of Moon’s light and the current of feeling good in the darkness. Not everything heard can be spoken, and not everything spoken should be translated or uttered. In the dark I saw the light of Moon, and the stillness was movement and songs came from my heart of hearts and lifted towards the Songs that have always stirred my creativity and love for Songs into a lifeway.

© Gregory E. Woods

No comments:

Post a Comment