Monday, April 29, 2013

CANCER & ART

Kelly Davidson's story


I remember the first time America saw a picture of a woman whose breasts were gone because of cancer. It frightened the country and embolden those weakened by the stigma. It shocked the senses, and still does although many can easily pretend not to be so affected. I have had the privilege of not having cancer, and the responsibility of sharing a cancer story with my mother who died of a cancer a few short weeks ago. The experience changes the calibre of the soul for a variety of reasons, and a number of ways.

Bringing beauty to what could be a road to suicide for some, mental depression for others I've know of is one of the deeper gifts. I looked closely at your face Kelly before I could look at the tattoo, and the joy in your face mirrored the words of your life, and the brilliance of your art. It is quite a gift nobility, non-attachment, and the release of spirit you've undergone. - Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories 4.29.13

Women Starting Over and Working It Out

No comments:

Post a Comment