Sunday, October 5, 2014

STAND

Archbishop George Stallings with Dr. Sinclair Grey III
April 27, 2013


I remember when Archbishop George Stallings stirred the cauldrons and changed the reflections of a traditional structure by breaking away from the Catholic Church, and started the Imani Temple African American Catholic Congregation. I watched him. I wanted to see how he stood in the storms of controversy. I looked and I saw a man standing. He affirmed me, and made it a point to demonstrate the purpose of owning a purpose, and how a Black man looks owning and sharing the essential quality of manhood: standing for something, having convictions meaning something, and vision being something to look at and see where you fit into the broadening scope of things.

This is part of the old way of being a man becoming an Elder. - Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories 5.2.13




No comments:

Post a Comment