Tuesday, October 13, 2009

a real beauty at home



Living and dreaming at some point come together. They come home, in a manner of speaking, in a birthing process. I am thinking of the times adults dream of what they want in a mate. Years ago my youngest brother, Michael was on a long search for a wife. His search had not a trace of superficiality. His mind is like that of a military strategist, and the sweetness of his spirit, and the deep reflection of his mind and heart is his balance that came through one night when he expressed one thing he needed and sought in a wife.

"If I had a wife who would smile at me when I came home with appreciation I would work three jobs for her!"

The two single women, standing in the doorway of our parents home, broke out in riotous laughter, and mocked him. It crushed him. I saw it in his eyes as his body changed and his shoulders dropped a bit and his hands came up in a helpless gesture asking, "What?"

I was enraged at the assault. I called my little brother upstairs to my room, and told him, "Never listen to the words and the advice of angry, single, silly women who hold their virginity as a weapon!"

"What do you mean?"

I pointed out one of the women, a minister, and reminded him of her decades long claim of virginity, and said, "Virginity is powerful. It is meant to be a gift. But after years, and years it has become a weapon lording over you, or anyone who has made other decisions about their womb. It is a judgement used to crush you with its claims. After years, and years it is no longer about the purity of virginity it is about something else..." ~ Dawn Wolf, Keeper of Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment