Saturday, June 23, 2012

Les Nubians-La Guerre





BLACK PRIDE, the lack thereof…

“I regret letting my third language languish (French). The lyrics of Les Nubian's song, La Guerre, reminds me of how unevolved Black Americans were when I returned to the States from living in Africa. Their resentment of anything remotely connected to deep African spirituality, and what was outside the vernacular of coarseness was astounding. Others and I let things let other languages we spoke reside in our mysterious backgrounds, and developed a coping skill that took time to stop simmering with resentment. We talked about it as a form of self-preservation. We had to go through pity into awareness of the dominating fears of Black America to understand the importance of Blacks to suckle on the ‘tit’ that informs identity.

In Black American culture as long as the idea of self is measured by how ‘we’ look, or come across to the Whites, and as long as our freedom is given to us we cannot own the most important thing: our own images!

I dig the song by Les Nubians. I get it.” - Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories



No comments:

Post a Comment