Tuesday, June 10, 2014

THE WHY OF BLACK, THE WHY OF RED


Black scouts in the 1800's



"Why is it that most people of Black and Native American decent Identify as Black Indian or AfroNativeAmerican? But most people of White and Native American decent dont identify as a White Indian? Their are Blonde haired blue eyed Cherokee that would most likely get upset if you were to refer to them as a White Indian. I choose to identify as a Black Indian because i am proud of my Black and Native American Heritage."Bubs Wright 6.1.14


Black woman in the sunlight.


"Blacks in England will not labeled themselves as a Black English. French do not labeling themselves as a BlackFrenchmen. Blacks in American must identify as Black if they are mixed. Me I go by native and if they want more answer then I will say. America citizen then Native America. I will also included my dad was Black . Most black natives I have encountered go by native. It is not to say they are ashamed of being black I guess it depends on your upbringing." - Cathy Nottingham 


 "Well a lot of it has to do with the politics of race. White people have controlled racial classifications for as long as race has existed. So white ppl are given the freedom to move freely into racial categories because they control the institution that has created it. We as black or ppl of color were always assigned a category by those people in control. This categorization was based upon what who can have resources. I was always told when it comes to black and native ppl, "they want to own you, not owe you" which kinda brings into the discussion the one drop and the blood quantum laws." - Sheilah Naajiibah Dasher


No comments:

Post a Comment