Tuesday, September 9, 2014

I Tell An NDN story





Proud Black Indians are a group of people living in the United States subjugated to invisible ranks in society. A long story it is, but a story nonetheless needing to be told by Black Indians. We need to show up as we are in pow wows, tribal meetings, public forums, churches, on the streets of the cities we live in and on reservations. 

I was at a pow wow hosted by Maryland University one year. During the last round dance Rita's mother began urging me to get in the circle and dance. I wasn't wearing regalia. I never do because my walk on the Red Road wasn't about being seen. It was being. Anyway what prompted me to go out there and dance in my jeans holding my walking stick with its single Vulture feather were her words: "Go. They need to see you. They (gesturing towards the Indians present) need to see who you are!" 

- Gregory E. Woods (Alowan Chanteh Inyan Wichasha) 
Keeper of Stories 9.9.14


Granddaughter Erinn-Elaine

Gregory & his granddaughter, Erinn-Elaine's first time together in the flesh. 










No comments:

Post a Comment