Wednesday, September 10, 2014

WORDS FROM MY MOTHER

Thandie Newton in 2008 on the red carpet

My mother taught, and I listened to what she did.

I was a corporate concierge once. I held the job with distinction. I was part of the management team that ran the mall, and the office space of Chevy Chase Pavilion, which sits on the border of Washington DC and a wealthy and Jewish neighborhood in Maryland. I loved the position, and the responsibilities. I looked good because my wife dressed me and styled my dark suit with the rich colors of my shirts, and tied my hair in deer skin at times to match the Medicine jewelry I'd wear from time to time. On September 11, 2001 I created sacred space to still the distress of that day. That day was a relief for me because it had been in my dreams for months and the Medicine People had shown me through the eyes of the Crows and Ravens what evil was to come. It was a relief for me, but it enabled me to create sacred space to be safe in for many people.

But, a point came when I walked away from the job. I had a good salary, a $40,000 budget to plan any type of event for my clientele, and a mean spirited manager. After a few disturbing experiences with this manager I went to both my mother and my wife with the same scenario and question. Jan confirmed the unction of my spirit and my mother said, "It is better to have a good name..."

The decision made I went to the manager and told her I was resigning and why. I said, "I was born with a good name. I will die with a good name. I have a good name. I'll be damned if I let you soil my good name." And I left.


"To maintain one's dignity in the light of fame, the murky grey of anonymity, in the close confines of personal relationships, or in the open fields is the supreme testament of dignity. It is a discipline. One's name is more valuable than riches." - Gregory E. Woods 9.10.13





BLACK WOMAN'S SONG

No comments:

Post a Comment