Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Seven Triggers


The Brazilian television personality, Laura Soares, said according to Sally Hogshead there are seven triggers of fascination, and we are always led by two.


 What are you led by? 


"There are many questions living gives to us. What do we do with ourselves? Am I where I need to be? Who am I alive? Where is the life journey taking me? What am I giving into? Was that wise? Is there more to me, if so what? All kinds of things come at us." 

Yesterevening, I met a smartly and distinctly dressed Black man sporting a black beret, and a vintage ensemble of his own making, and elegant manners. He was poise almost in a suggestive feminine manner, but making no expression of sexual preference, only a sense of knowing who he was and where he stood in life. I excused myself from the conversation I was in in the church basement, and approached him, greeting him in French with a question. He looked at me coolly, with confidence and tried to respond in kind. I made a brief appraisal of his wardrobe to him that he confirmed with a nod of his head, and our conversation fell into one about the arts, and performance and purpose. 

His name was Frank. He was at the church to sing and rap in a performance in the sanctuary upstairs. He was interested in the children running around in the basement I was looking after. The young man had an interesting background in his young life that included two years of public education teaching performing arts under the strict cold guidelines of the Washington DC public school system that are not compatible with a child's creativity, and their natural ways of learning and processing stimuli. It was an awful struggle he faced with his best efforts, but the harshness of the system shortened his desire to teach in that arena.

The most interesting thing about Frank was his wisdom about education. Frank said, "I went through school with purpose. I know who I am. I was in school only to enhance what I had, and to sharpen it." He went on to explain the average student's problem in school was going through school not knowing their purpose. It explained the switching of majors in college, the irresponsible partying and so on. 

His plan in school was to sharpen his skills, graduate and immediately do what he was doing at the church. 

Why was he born? To develop an art for families to better raise and develop their children through sound, movement and the spoken word. - Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories 2.20.14




a Colombian woman sitting in the dentist's office.
February 13 , 2014
   

No comments:

Post a Comment