Monday, December 1, 2014

The New Elegant Black Woman Today





fragile beauty of an African American lady 







I think that it's rare in the media to see images of Black women looking shy, vulnerable, meek, delicate, and fragile and that may be why I like these images so much! Instead we are shown strong, independent, angry, loud, aggressive women who can do everything on their own and are hard as nails. I think that many Black women are delicate but put on a hard shell (e.g., have a mean expression on their faces) because they fear (sometimes rightly so) that someone will see this vulnerability and hurt them. I think that those of us who are not in danger can feel free to show their feminine vulnerability because this is what also makes others want to care for and protect us.

No matter what your opinion is on the subject, I'm sure you will agree that the women in these images are beautiful and very feminine! Do you think that it is rare to see Black women in the media and in your life looking this way? How do you think others would react to these women? Do you feel uncomfortable seeing Black women depicted this way? Are you more accustomed to seeing non-Black women like this? I have an appreciation for the way these women are depicted because I think they look like delicate flowers :) I wish more Black women would pose like this instead of making faces, sneering, making that annoying pouting face, growling, looking bored, oversexed, or looking like they are angry because those poses make them look awful! What ever happened to trying to look "nice" in photographs? Anyways, the main things that stand out for me will be highlighted. This is the first of a series of posts examining positive images of Black women that I described in my post: What I Look For in Positive Images of Black Women.

READ more:
Posted by 

5 Black women posing for fun


black dress on Octavia Spencer, actress !!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment