Friday, January 30, 2015

Fitness is Sacred?


black athlete Tasha Fit years ago 


#tbt  This is one of my favorite pictures despite not being the most flattering. I remember taking this picture and feeling good in my skin and confident. I felt beautiful.
Beauty is more than a size, or any other arbitrary number. It is more than a six pack or thin thighs. Beauty is embracing your imperfections and owning it. Beauty is being confident in your skin and not letting others define your beauty or self worth. Stretch marks, cellulite, loose skin…yep, I got those too (along with 99% of the rest of the female population). Sometimes I let it get to me but most of the time I embrace it. It tells my story. Own it and hold your head up high and aim for progress not perfection. - Tasha Fit, 7.10.14 #I_am_more_than_a_six_pack #Own it#chase_your_greatness


black athlete Tasha Fit's baby announcement



Tasha Fit announced she and her husband were expecting their first child in July 2015. On her Facebook page she posted a humorous photo befitting the giddiness and the splendid wonder of the news of a transitional process in her thinking about self to thinking about a baby.


black athlete Tasha Fit in August of 2013 


In response I wrote, "I am very happy for you. Carrying a child, being the parent of a child is a deep story that began as a child. Your childhood, you'll discover, feeds your children. I envy you the journey.

As your pregnancy grows in days and deepens into who you are would you write about the womb from the perspective of an athlete who takes stock in the 6-pack? I know the average woman does not consider the Wisdom of the Sacred Feminine, but as a father and a man for years I've been puzzled about the mysterious contradictions American women hold within themselves about the womb, their bodies, their powers."


black athlete Tasha Fit competing
November 23, 2013 


In response to someone else's comment she said, "abs are made in the kitchen. For me, my midsection really started to transform once I started to eat unprocessed food and limit my sugar intake. The sugar part was huge for me because I have a sweet tooth."

Does motherhood become an athlete? Does motherhood ascend or descend a woman into activism for self and baby? I wonder about this at times because the care and utter magnificence of women defending their babies at any cost is amongst other things political activism perhaps because women have not as yet control over their bodies, and without question do not have control over their images of self! - Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories 1.30.15

No comments:

Post a Comment