Thursday, January 24, 2013

it's SNOWING

Large_1a1661cb-5b8e-4e3b-ab3f-f77db4d608b7
Downhill. We'd all gone downhill to Renee's house after the snow stopped falling to play video games, watch movies in the other room, or swim in her heated pool out back. But white people have a different relationship and understanding of the elements. They, unlike Black folks, love to play outdoors. Weather don't matter, and it didn't matter to Renee when she saw me through the window trudging through snow.

I heard a muffled scream of delight through her window. She looked like she was struggling with something I couldn't see, but was soon to see. She'd undressed and ran outside in her undies, black boots, skis, and a straw hat. I couldn't fathom it at first. Didn't take long to enjoy it. She laughed at my dismay and locked our arms and walked me around her property like it was a warm sunny day in August.  Then, like it was a cold day in February  went skiing down the street, and up the next hill to the top. Flying down that hill and up to where I stood watching her scream with delight at the cold wind in her face, I thought about adventure, and adventures to have!

- Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories







No comments:

Post a Comment