Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Celia CRUZ in my imagination!


Celia Cruz was so much!!


Celia Cruz, since I first heard her as a teenage musician, has been one of my five favorite singers in the world. First, it was the voice, and its fiery connection to African sensibilities. When I saw her picture a couple years later I was smitten. She was much older, and her body had weight to it. When I finally saw her live onstage in DC a little before she died you couldn't pull me from where I stood! So powerful was her presence and overwhelming the sound coming out of her. The royal qualities of Celia Cruz joined everyone together and whether it was the first time you'd heard her music, or not the joy received could not be contained. Even the crippled shook to the rhythms.

It wasn't until a couple of years ago I thought to Google her, and I saw her early pictures, and... Well, look at this:    ~ Dawn Wolf, Keeper of Stories 10.21.13

Celia Cruz

Still banned in Cuba


No comments:

Post a Comment