Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Playing together




"Wild Bird"

By Bill Goodwin

"Billy (Hart) is playing a drum set and I'm playing different percussion instruments including a drum set and timbales. Randy Brecker playing on his "wah wah" trumpet was really something ...

That tune was Hal Galper's composition and it's basically a ballad in 11/4 underneath. It was really slow and the chords move really slow and the rhythm is moving fast beneath it. I think it's a bar of 5 and a bar of 4. Billy's holding it down and I'm basically trying to stretch beyond the time signature into a pure pygmy rhythm. I'm playing the timbales, I'm playing the sides.

Billy and I loved doing that record together because we're such good friends. He's like a brother to me.

"I made that record ("Windows") with Jack (Wilkins) and every guitar player would come up to me and ask if I was playing on that. It was just like the record I made with Tom Waits (Nighthawks @ the Diner). All of a sudden all these Tom Waits fans were coming up to me and saying, "weren't you the drummer that played with Tom?"

When I made that record with Gary Burton and Keith Jarrett all the drummers in Europe came up to me and told me how much they loved that record."

 
*excerpt of my radio interview with BG from December 2012



drummer Billy Hart

 

No comments:

Post a Comment