Monday, February 1, 2010

Gullah Geechee folk, Queen Quet & Capt. Legree of St Helena Island

Gullah Geechee folk: Queen Quet & Capt. Legree of St Helena Island 2010


"I had too much Indian blood to have skin this dark which was my childhood dream until the Phillippine's sun baked me reddish brown... This is a powerful image for me. I used to hunt feverishly for recordings of the Gullah dialect and songs.  The Library of Congress had old recordings that I listened to intently for hours on end.  It connected me to the Africa I had come from reminding me that the soil of Africa was a tangible thing I could walk upon if I visited their island.  But looking at Queen Quet's picture I am planning a trip to visit, and meet her." 

Gregory E. Woods
Keeper of the Drum
2010


No comments:

Post a Comment