Tuesday, May 1, 2018

BOOK PROMOTION: A LUMBEE GERSHOM


Anita Jo Shifflet reading her book,
A Lumbee Gershom. (2018) 

Lonely and tired, the lovely young Indian woman with the white father and Lumbee mother embraced courage and chased truth as she looked into the angry eyes of a crowd that judged her. She knew she was the evidence her parents had broken the law by loving and marrying one another. She also knew her existence was evidence that racism exists in people of varying shades of color. Her two worlds melted into one as she looked directly into the eyes of her critics and began to speak.
"For I have been a stranger and have dwelt in a strange land...I am A LUMBEE GERSH
OM." 




















Anita Jo Shifflett, Lumbee author and lawyer promoting her book in November of 2016.


🌻 A LUMBEE GERSHOM🌻


Where Do You Dwell? Are you prepared for a journey into my world? A world where my skin deceived those that did not know the true me? A world where I grew up playing with the children of great writers, doctors, attorneys, United States Generals, and even United States Senators. Or would my real world interest you more? The world of my brown skinned mother and my people, the Lumbee Indians of Robeson County, North Carolina. A community filled with clapboard houses, mobile homes standing a top of exposed cinder blocks, old pick up trucks with strong brown arms propped upon doors making their way down old dirtroads, mule pulled tobbaca’ crates, the sweaty faces of the tobacco croppers with barefoot Indian children freely running through flat fields of sand and old Indian women sitting on front porches shelling field peas faster than any machine could possibly imitate.

Such scenes came from my hidden world…the world of A Lumbee Gershom.
Or does my secret world interest you more? A place where words like “miscegenation”, "mixed marraiges”, "Eugenics” and "forbidden love affairs” shaped my young adult life.
And the best part?
Every word is true….
Take the journey with me, JoJo…the original Lumbee Gershom.


ON SALE NOW $15.00 SIGNED TO YOU BY JOJO. BUY YOUR COPY NOW AT
alumbeegershom.com






No comments:

Post a Comment