Saturday, October 13, 2018

Aspects of non-white beauty.



Hat stylishly worn. photograph by Mi'Kaelah Yisrael Portrait photography.




"During slavery naked African women were desperate to find ways to hold on to their dignity..." 
- Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories




Indian woman. Shampa by Rajib Chatterjee.


The complexity and depth to India's history and culture dwarfs Western life. Inside of every culture the women give the deepest insights into its contradictions and triumphs. To be honest I have always avoided visiting India, since my teenage years, out of respect for the intrigue I feel in front of the enormous energies the land and people have spun and created! Each time I see the women I feel their nuances the way heat is felt from the sun, and because of the complexity of their worldviews, and spirituality the women's unmistakable beauty pushes one towards divinity somehow.

It may sound like idolizing. I ain't. The study of culture is the analysis of self. There is more, but I am simply reacting to Rajib Chatterjee's photograph. It pulls so much out of the intellect and gives so much to the soul. The truth is it is the weight of the culture. Not every land is to be stepped upon in each lifetime.

- Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories 10/06/18


Rajib Chatterjee  wrote: "Thanks Gregory E. Woods for your impromtue write up full of intellect. Its an honor to the culture of my country. I feel proud to be an Indian!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment