Monday, October 1, 2018

Views of 9/11. .


Online, a discussion was started on September 11, 2018 when Ali Cat wrote: "When I think of 9/11 I of course remember the tragedy that took place. What stands out to me, however, is later that day seeing a little boy standing in front of his house, for hours proudly and solemnly waving an American flag. The unity that America had, that’s what I remember and it’s what we need to go back to. "

Reactions were typical: "Preach." "I agree." "Word.' And so on. One man, Mathew Agel, said: "I worked rescue recovery at WTC for 4 months. As a country we all came together as Americans. Never felt prouder to be an American!" 

A Marine now working as a private security contractor, Chuck C. Charles, said: "I deployed Sept 17th and I came home in April spending most of that time in Afghanistan... For a 1hr bus ride back to base, the streets were lined with proud Americans. Flags waving. Patriotic citizens waving and screaming support... oh and women flashing... Can't forget that part... But it was one of the best displays of real America that I had ever seen and seen since... I miss that America!"  

A Black man, Don Hubbard Jr. said: "Unfortunately that type of unity only happens when there's a major crisis like 911 or an act of domestic terrorism!" Todd Wright, who by his photo could be a cowboy, responded: " I very much agree with you ! This country is on the edge and it's going to take a lot more work to get it back to being great again." 

Todd's response gets the same reaction from me: "When was it great? When was it not? What definition of greatness is employed in this call? What is really being said, expressed in such a way the real meaning does come out?"   


… From my perspective and many of us Native people, we did not share those sentiments. We had multiple memories of being massacred by Euro-Americans! There were other things. First, was the inevitability of such an event, and second was the reaction of the larger population believing sentimentality held a uniting force. That is how fear talks. The patterns of American history showed another pattern.

There was a window opened that day to reconcile with other nations most Americans were unable to perceive. It was, this notion of making peace, resented by white Americans when the idea came forth... I remember that more as each day passes under the current administration! - Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories 9/30/18 



Ali Cat (r.) and a friend for September 11. "Make America Great Again!' 



No comments:

Post a Comment