Monday, October 8, 2012

LOVE & HONOR

Coyote Man Is Threatened By Warrior Brother - Nez Perce 

Beautiful Woman's brother was the strongest, fiercest, most talented warrior of the clan. Beautiful Woman told her brother about how Coyote Man seduced her with empty promises on the river bank. Warrior Brother gathered the entire tribe. "I will challenge Coyote Man to a fight. We will fight in the middle of the village." The people agreed. No man makes promises he can not keep. Warrior Brother found Coyote in the shade of the brush licking himself. Warrior Brother threatened, "I challenge you to a fight to the death, for dishonoring my sister." Coyote transformed into a man and followed the challenger to the village. People spat at Coyote Man. 

They yelled questions. "Why don't you ever work in the fields with us, you lazy bum? Why do you always challenge our traditions? Why do you lie?" Coyote Man answered each question before fighting. He refused the weapons that were given him. "I work smart, not hard. Your traditions are stupid. And I tell the truth that you do not want to hear." 

Warrior Brother came at Coyote Man. He plunged an axe right into Coyote Man's chest. Coyote Man stood there and did not bleed. "I am an immortal. I lived in the dreams of your ancestors long before you arrived. I can not die." With these words, Coyote Man turned into a very old man. "Beautiful Woman, I told you that I would be your man for that moment. I never said forever." Coyote Man took the axe out of his chest and buried it. He transformed back into Coyote and ran into the brush.



- from BLUE PANTHER'S archives

No comments:

Post a Comment