Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A PERSPECTIVE or TWO

... from an interesting place of introspection.
https://www.facebook.com/NoHopeForTheHumanRace
Interesting relationships the two cultures have. The contrasts are revealing and different. There is a great and compelling story around the respective relationships between people and spirits. - Gregory E. Woods



DRUNKS


“Even as a teenager I never saw the humor of getting drunk. I didn't look down upon them. I resented young and old drinkers who thought it offensive to not drink with them, and who liked to go to the extreme drinking. They'd pass a point of no return, and expected something along the lines of sympathy and compassion from others. Mostly men did this, and as a man I learned to not help those men until they broke down completely from within.

One time, early in my relationship with my wife, we attended a live music concert at Freedom Plaza, on Pennsylvania Avenue in the middle of downtown Washington DC. It was hot as hell out there, and the spokespersons for the event were handing out free cold water telling all not to drink liquor, wine, or beer. It was a little below 110 degrees outside! The music made it all worthwhile, and pleasurable.

After the show we saw this older cat who’d been drinking hard the whole time we were enjoying the music. He had reeled and fell hard on the pavement. Women, black women, surrounded him touching him concerned for his life, and well being. I clicked my teeth, and shuttled Jan away from this clown. Jan pulled away upset with me. She wanted to help him and join the others fussing over him. Not me. I was disgusted with him and the parade gathered around him. I tried to leave, but Jan pulled out of my arms and stepped away from me voicing her astonishment at me.

“I thought you were a kind, a spiritual man!” she said.

I was firm telling her as a man I could not and would not respect this man. He was playing a game knowing he didn't have to follow the rules, face the consequences of his actions with a city full of women who would fall all over him to help him no matter what shit he put himself into. I didn't and couldn't respect that!

I found a way to say this in the shortest sentences. Every woman heard me, and Jan stopped short and studied everyone, and everything in front of her.  After a long reflective pause she said, “I see.” She turned away.

Walking up 12th Street towards her car she clasped my left hand, and apologized with clarity in her voice. © Gregory E. Woods 10.21.12







No comments:

Post a Comment