Friday, May 31, 2013

HAIR & BLACK WOMEN

"I think many people, especially from other cultures, just don’t understand the role hair plays in Black women’s lives. I can now transform the energy surrounding my hair into something way more productive. Now that [my hair is] growing back, I’m kind of in that in-between stage. Previously, I would have said, “I’m straightening it again; it’s just becoming too much work.” But I think the key is to find styles that give me flexibility."- Solange Knowles
























The contrasts between women in ancient times who were connected to their wombs, and to the Earth, our Mother by breath, by knowing, and today's 'modern woman' disconnected from the ancient rituals and ties to their wombs, or trying to make those connections is a stark revelation. I watch, and participate in young lives. What we, as adults, say and don't say acts in children's lives. Their portrayals of us, and our angst, contradictions, and joys, and discoveries come out in child's play as mirrors. What is often reflected back our direction frightens us, but not enough to make many of us re-connect with the essentials because of our attachments that cannot stand up against our deaths. Why is that? is one question.

How is this related to hair? Every which way ceremony is connected to the beginning, the middle and the end of life before resurrection. – Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories 11.9.12



big black model in color

No comments:

Post a Comment