Thursday, May 16, 2013

CHALLENGE OF THE FALLS


Friends warned us the journey up the Trinidad Mountains to Maracas Falls was hard. But my 9 year old daughter Michelle & I hike often so we drove to the trail & made the amazing climb. We played in the falls, lit candles & enjoyed nature in celebration. 

Suddenly Oz, our guide called out, “The sun is falling. Let’s go!”

By the time we reached the shore it was dark. I told Michelle & Oz don’t worry because I have great night vision. I took 3 steps on the path & my foot slipped off the side of the mountain as Oz caught my arm preventing me from falling further.

When the sun falls on the equator it falls quickly. With no moon & dense trees the night was blacker than black. Fortunately, I saved 1 candle & 1 match. So I lit the candle. But it did little to light our way. Oz then remembered his Trini Scouts Training, picked up a long dry leaf, lit it & we miraculously had a bright torch. It burned out in about a minute so we created a system to light the way down the path. Michelle collected leaves, I lit them & Oz held the torch.

But it was still too dark knowing Trinidad has Boa Constrictors, Vampire Bats, Tarantulas & other deadly bush residents. Then Michelle said, “Mommy, something keeps rubbing the back of my legs. What is it?” Oz & I admitted we didn't know what it was but it was on us too. I was terrified we might be bleeding but told my daughter “Don’t worry. We’ll be OK.”

Michelle had a revelation, “Harriet Tubman must have felt like this as she walked hundreds of miles to freedom.” Hours later we reached Freedom, our car & began the 50 mile drive home. But yards later the road gave way & my car was stuck. Oz said we must walk. I said “No! We can fix this,” as 2 bandits walked up. I got them to place rocks in the hole under the tire & push the car as I yelled, “Oz! Michelle jump in!” We drove off laughing at the bandits. Michelle said, “We survived the challenge mommy! Together we can do anything!” - Michelle Sujai   April 9, 2013


April 9, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment