Sunday, August 18, 2013

Sculptor Jerry Harris

17th Century Dogon wood Sculpture



Dogon wood sculpture. 17th  century.
Ancesstor figure. The Dogon people are from West Africa and go back 6,000 years ago. We can see African compositional rhythms, as welll as  those forms barrowed by Picasso, Brancusi, and Henry Moore. Dogon Tradition says that they came from the sky in what we would now call a spaceship, and landed in the cradle of civilization, still awaiting their ship to return them to their true home in the clouds. They possessed advance astronomical knowledge.


Jerry, you a deep artist. I am looking at your work. It tells many stories and challenges and asserts several things at one time. You know the picture of you standing in front of one of your pieces positioned on a white block? That one. That one moves and alters itself into different forms, a woman, entrails, a swinging bird. Each form had a different sound to its voice...

That is what I saw. I am looking and appreciating your works. I don't like to rush looking at art of any kind. Yours requires a different concentration. If ever I get to San Francisco I'll make a point of finding a gallery with your work. The feeling of them alive has to be intriguing! - Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories 
December 21, 2012 

ART
of Jerry Harris 


Greg, back to you. Thanks for your thoughts. I was just expressing myself, and, as always, consciously soliciting thoughts from the public. Writing, like my art, if you have not looked at it, is very subconscious. I really don't know how I get there, and it even takes time, even years for me to understand what the hell am I thinking. - Jerry Harris, 12.11.12   http://www.harrisculptor.com/ 
Wounded Warrior, 1999, destroyed in a flood in Philadelphia, Pa. Laminated Clay (Bondo), wood, and leather. 36" X 42"









No comments:

Post a Comment