Tuesday, February 11, 2014

CIVIL RIGHTS story: Deep South



Gael Keiser 

Don't remember Civil Right marches.

Though my girlfriend & I riding the Greyhound bus into Atlanta from Smyrna one day to shop in town (we were about 14-15 yrs. old.) and as walking down Marietta Street downtown and who turns the corner but a hoard of Ku Klux Klan white sheets and all - enveloping us on the sidewalk! We jumped backward into a doorway until they passed us by. Then we continued on. I was so niave back then.
And I remember seeing a cross being burned at Campbell High School (Smyrna) "hill" back about that time. I had no idea what was going on.

Also remember riding the Greyhound one time and I was so tired (going from Atlanta at work back to Smyrna - when I was about 17 yrs. old) and there were a lot of people standing in the asile. bus crowded. I spied an empty seat toward the back of the bus and sat myself down next to a black person - hey, empty seat!) whites all standing. Everyone on the bus gave me the evil eye. Blacks AND White. lol. what did I care? not in the least - I was comfortable all the way home.

(Note: when my mom and dad worked 5 days a week Charmie a black woman took care of me and my brother so thus my naivety about the conflicts) Oh, and went to all white school but never knew it was "different". (50's - 60's Cobb Co., GA) - (feb. 9, 2011)




No comments:

Post a Comment