Sunday, February 16, 2014

LISTEN TO A GRANDFATHER'S INTERVIEW!



Talk with girls about women.


Written by Priya on January 28, 2014



Sexual intimacy has played an important role in my personal life and although I had heard from others of loss of desire as they got older, I never thought that this would happen to me. But it did!

As I got closer to 60, I got less and less interested in sex, but also missed it and some of the wonderful things that it brought to my life when it was there. I recognized a need to have a fresh look at what sex for me now is and begin to address the new sexuality that is there for me in this age. It is not the same as it was when I was even 55! But what is it and how do I want to express my sexuality now? I also know that I am not alone in the question of “Now What?”.

As a culture we have only begun to talk about the profound shifts in our libido after 6O and beyond and what sex is for us as we age. In our culture sex is generally defined by youth and often seen as owned by it, but in actuality it is not bounded by it. It's important to bring the conversation about sex after 60 out to be shared so that we can support each other in our unique changes, stay vital in our bodies, hearts and minds, and continue to enjoy and reap the benefits of a healthy sexuality.

I looked around at my own life and saw that in my friendship circles there were so many of what I call extraordinary, ordinary people living extraordinary ordinary lives.  What defines this phrase extraordinary ordinary is people living day to day lives, not necessarily making a big public splash of themselves, but simply doing what they do with integrity of purpose. These are folks who have made choices in their lives in the service of what brings them the most life, joy, growth and fulfillment. These are folks who have faced the challenges that we all face and have created lives of quiet inspiration and personal wisdom.

Loren Gremlich is one such friend of mine. Loren is a ceramic artist, philosopher, father, grandfather, lover, creative thinker, and gentle spirit on this earth. He is the creator of the great gratitude ADVENTURE, a web project devoted to bringing awareness to the importance of compassion, gratitude and empathy into our lives. He lives in grass Valley California with his Beloved Partner of 4 years. He refers to himself as a serial monogamist, has been happily married 3 times, has been in 3 live in relationships besides his marriages, has 2 grown children, 1 grandchild and has active friendships with his previous partners.

I invited Loren to be “Innerviewed” because one of the myriad reasons that I respect and admire him is that he have an active and healthy intimate sex life at 67 years old!!



No comments:

Post a Comment