Saturday, September 24, 2016

Their Heart Stories



Black woman defying something within her.
September 15

 



The pose of Black women defying something within them is often heralded. We tend to ignore the signs left in the wake of a woman's passing. At times, beauty is a curse. It blocks the view of a woman's pain pitting her against the idea of herself and facts of her life. Young and between the two pillars her foundational structure determines her next step, the way she turns and smiles into a man's eyes and the words she utters into her future can easily hide her self from the spirits she protects herself from. Who teaches our young women? Who does not teach our young women? - Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories 9/24/15













Drumming in Sunday drum circle at Malcolm X Park in Washington D.C.
 photo by Pablo Raw





black French maid sat upon her desk.

September 15, 2015 



Teacher of the Year?
I had elementary school teachers who were good looking. One was a stunning beauty, but mean like you wouldn't want to believe, and I have to say I had to endure. I learned to look beyond my teacher's beauty, and with beauty gaze into what was awe inspiring sometimes, perplexing other times and still within what came to be a creative process I developed to survive school, which I disliked, I decided to learn from them and the horrible experience of their contempt for me and boys.

- Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories 9.24.15





 

No comments:

Post a Comment